Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Repost - What happened to Hope Witsell

Reposting this from Sylvia Has A Problem because everyone should read it.

And then get mad.

I have days where I want to tear down this entire sex-negative, kyriarchical, repressive culture of ours and start over. Reading this is one of those days.

I cannot express how angry this makes me.

Hope Witsell was thirteen.

Let that sink in for a minute. Thirteen years old. Eighth grade. Driven to suicide by sex-negativity, bullying, and victim-blaming.

Sex-negativity kills people. Bullying kills people. Victim-blaming kills people.

This makes me sick.

Please, let's build a society where this never happens again. Ever.



Obligatory resource list:

Please, if you're thinking about suicide, get help. It will get better, I promise.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (TTY): 1-800-799-4TTY (4889)
Hopelink: 1-800-SUICIDE (1.800.784.2433)
The Trevor Helpline (LGBTQ youth): 866-4-U-TREVOR (488-7386)
Covenant House Youth Crisis Line: 1-800-999-9999

No comments:

Post a Comment